Here is what I have been loving in food lately!
1. Cara Cara Oranges- these are so yummy! I love the sweet citrus-ness to them and have been obsessed with them this month. Wikipedia describes them as “a red-fleshed navel orange is an early-to-midseason navel orange believed to have developed as a cross between the Washington navel and the Brazilian Bahia navel. Discovered in Venezuela“(Wikipedia) Huffington Post loves them too, and even has 12 recipes using them.
2. First We Feast– An online magazine expressing their love for all things Food, Travel, Pop Culture, and Music. Their writing is so clever and funny, and the topics they cover are new and surprising. One of my favorites has been an article on a food-related diss, and “Food and Booze habits of famous authors”. Check them out!
3. Food Network, Cutthroat Kitchen– Recently I have been loving this TV show. Cutthroat Kitchen is a mix of reality television and innovative food creativity. Food Network describes it as, “Just how far is a chef willing to go to win a cooking competition? Cutthroat Kitchen hands four chefs each $25,000 and the opportunity to spend that money on helping themselves or sabotaging their competitors.” My favorite sabotage thus far has been using flavored jelly beans for spices.
4. Sizzle Pie Pizza– For my birthday dinner we went to Sizzle Pie, a Portland-based pizzeria. I know I rave about Sizzle Pie often, but their 7$ pizza and salad combo can’t be beat. My “thick-crust neediness” vanishes after my first bite of their one-of-a-kind flavors. I think I had my favorite pizza yet-the Hawkwind, named after an English Rock Band. Read my Full Review Here.
5. Herb de Provence Seasoning: Oh my, my new favorite way to bake veggies. This seasoning usually includes: marjoram,rosemary,thyme,oregano, and lavender. The past two nights I cut different veggies in 1′ rounds and drizzle with olive oil, salt, lemon pepper, and Herb de Provence Seasoning. I lay them on a foiled baking sheet and cook at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Yellow Zucchini or Sweet Potatoes are absolute perfection.
What Have you Been loving this Week? -Rachel